LANCS.TV Old Trafford Lodge Hotel
Match Report STORY
Lancs crash to Cardiff Pro40 defeat
Lancs crash to Cardiff Pro40 defeat
Print Printable version

Peter Moores admitted Lancashire contributed to their own downfall as their chances of winning the Pro40 League Division Two title slipped away at the hands of Glamorgan at Cardiff on Monday night.

The Lightning’s chase of 220 in 40 overs was hamstrung by three stumpings and three run outs.

Paul Horton and VVS Laxman shared 53 for the first wicket before both fell in quick succession for 26 and 31 respectively to leave the score at 63-2 in the 12th over.

Francois du Plessis, playing his last match of the season before returning to South Africa, was then stumped off the bowling of former Red Rose Academy bowler Chris Ashling, who had earlier got Laxman.

The ball cannoned back onto the stumps off Mark Wallace’s pads, and du Plessis had momentarily lifted his foot. That left the visitors at 77-3 in the 16th.

Steven Croft and Chilton then shared 52 for the fourth wicket to get their side back on track, Croft with four fours and two sixes in 50 off 56 balls before he was trapped lbw on the reverse sweep by left-arm spinner Dean Cosker.

Croft’s dismissal effectively signalled the beginning of the end for the Lightning as Gareth Cross ran Chilton out for 24 before he was stumped off the bowling of Cosker, who returned 2-26 from eight overs.

Glen Chapple was run out as he got his spikes stuck in the turf, attempting to regain his ground, to leave Lancs at 151-7 in the 31st.

Kyle Hogg, who hit a late 28 not out off 22 balls, and Stephen Parry (12) shared 24 for the eighth wicket before the latter was the third stumping off the bowling of Nick James. Sajid Mahmood was the third run out before Gary Keedy’s lbw to James Harris signalled a 27-run defeat with 14 balls to spare.

“All credit to Glamorgan because we thought 220 was chasable,” said coach Moores. “There were three run outs and three stumpings. Francois du Plessis was unlucky as it came off the keeper’s pads. The run outs caused our own demise in that respect.

“We got in the game twice. Horton and Laxman up front had good partnerships. From then on we looked in a good position to play. Then second time around with Croft and Chilton. We had just got momentum, but lost a wicket. That was the story of our night really.”

Earlier, Hogg, Parry and Keedy had all picked up two wickets as the hosts subsided from 135-2 in the 21st over to 219 all out in the 40th. Every one of Lancashire’s six bowlers got their names in the wickets column, as Glen Chapple, Steven Croft and Sajid Mahmood all took one.

Burly Australian left-hander Mark Cosgrove gave the Dragons a fine start after they won the toss and elected to bat, bludgeoning ten fours and two sixes in a 65-ball innings of 73.

But nobody else made it past tail-ender Cosker’s late 27. Jimmy Allenby and Tom Maynard both made it into the 20s. Cosgrove and Maynard shared 83 in eleven overs for the third wicket before Keedy started the clatter of wickets when he bowled the latter.

Two wickets fell in the 26th over as Parry had James caught at cover and Wallace was needlessly run out by livewire du Plessis to reduce the score to 154-7. Cosker and Harris then shared a crucial 48 for the eighth wicket.  

“We pulled them back well after Cosgrove got them going up front,” continued Moores. “I thought Kyle Hogg bowled really, really well. Unfortunately for us, 220 just proved too many.

“It was disappointing because had we won, we would have set up for a pretty big game against Warwickshire.”
Graham Hardcastle
Photo: Simon Pendrigh
(c) Lancashire CCC Ltd