LANCS.TV Old Trafford Lodge Hotel
Match Report STORY
Seconds frustrated by rain

Rain thwarted the 2ndXI's efforts to clinch victory against Warwickshire at West Bromwich.

Warwickshire v Lancashire, 2ndXI Championship, West Bromwich, 12-14 June
Match Drawn - Warwickshire 5.5 points, Lancashire 10 points [Updated Table]

Toss: Warwickshire
Lancashire 1st innings 260 all out (72.2 overs) Brown 74, Smith 72, Lilley 40* Hannon-Dalby 4-53
Warwickshire 1st innings 105 all out (31 overs) Smith 5-31, Griffiths 3-30
Warwickshire 2nd innings (following-on) 79-6 (29.3 overs) Smith 3-30

1st day
: Tom Smith and Karl Brown batted through the whole morning session after Lancshire had been put in, reaching 127-0 at the break.  Smith brought up his 50 first off 61 balls with Brown reaching his half century just before lunch. Their partnership was broken shortly after the resumption when Smith was caught behind for 72. This started a clatter of wickets, with Brown going next for 74. Stephen Moore was going well on 26 when he got a ball that popped off a length, but play was disrupted with a couple of rain interruptions. Bad light finally ended play for the day at 7:20pm with Lancashire on 220-5.

2nd day: After adding 33 runs Liam Livingstone edged behind, and the final 4 wickets followed quickly for 11 runs, leaving Arron Lilley stranded on 40 not out and Lancashire 264 all out.

Tom Smith struck in his 2nd over to remove Coleman lbw on his way to a five-wicket haul, and great signs that the all-rounder has put his injury problems behind. Gavin Griffiths followed this with two wickets in two balls, Maddy caught behind and Hain caught at 2nd slip thanks to a sharp catch by Jordan Clark. Rain then forced the players off before Griffiths could attempt a hat-trick! After a short return, no play was possible until 4:45pm with 48 overs remaining, and Smith and Griffiths continued the destruction of the Warwicks innings, finally dismissing the home side for 105 and still 23 overs left. 

Following-on Warwickshires started badly, Maddy caught behind by Alex Davies off Tom Bailey. The reintroduction of Smith brought 2 more wickets, making it 7 in the day for the all-rounder, and Lilley then struck with 3 overs remaining, Lewis lbw for 18, to leave the Bears 50-4 when play finally ended at 8.02pm.

3rd day: Showers halted play after a prompt start at 11am, with Gavin Griffiths removing night watchman Gordon in the first over, caught behind by Alex Davies. Play only lasted 15 minutes before rain forced an hours delay. Resuming in overcast conditions, only another 12 minutes play was possible during which Tom Smith dismissed Milns, caught 3rd slip by Arron Lilley. A downpour followed and eventually play was abandoned, a hugely frustrating finish as Lancashire were well set to claim a victory. The home side were penalised 1.5 points for a slow over rate.
Darrin White