LANCS.TV Old Trafford Lodge Hotel
Match Report STORY
2ndXI win Trophy Final!

Toss: Notts

Result: Lancashire 259-7 (40 overs) Moore 85, Brown 13, Croft 61, Clark 60, Cross 10, Livingstone 14, Lilley 4, Bailey 5, Parry 1*
Nottinghamshire 183 all out (32.3 overs) Cross 5, Wood 14, Tillcock 4, White 17, Kelsall 25, Hutton 47, Dal 13, Azad 14, Bacon 26, Ball 15, Wood 0*
Lancashire won by 76 runs

Photo courtesy of Peter Bacon

Lancs: Stephen Parry (capt), Tom Bailey, Karl Brown, Jordan Clark, Steven Croft, Gareth Cross (wk), Adnan Ghaus, Gavin Griffiths, Arron Lilley, Liam Livingstone, Stephen Moore

Notts: Sam Kelsall, Matt Cross, Sam Wood, Hassan Azad, Anuj Dal, Adam Tillcock, Graeme White, Brett Hutton, George Bacon, Jake Ball, Luke Wood

Lancashire had been asked to bat in overcast conditions and it was hard going in the early stages. Brown was caught behind in the 9th over with the score on 37, but Croft and Moore then took the attack to Notts, not by hitting lots of boundaries but by running quick singles and turning ones into twos, before they rain came to end play for the day and send the game into the reserve day. Moore reached his fifty in 55 balls including 7 fours, with Croft on 25 from 24 balls with 2 fours. At the close Lancashire were 96 for 1 after 17.3 overs.

Moore and Croft carried on where they left off when play resumed on the next morning, Croft reaching his 50 in 49 balls (1 six and 3 fours) before Moore was stumped on 85. Their partnership had added 118 to give the other batsman a great platform to post a good score. Croft went for 61 three overs later with Lancs 167-3 in 30th over.

They took the powerplay at the start of the 36th over and Clark took charge, hitting 3 huge sixes as Lancashire scored 49 in 4 overs. Clark was lbw for 60 in 38 balls, and three quick wickets fell in the hunt for late runs as Lancshire pushed the total to 259-7 by the end of their 40 overs.

Notts struggled with their reply, Griffiths striking in his first over and Bailey in his 4th over, to put the home side in trouble at 26-2. Parry trapped Tillcock lbw in his first over to make it 39-3 and Ghaus made further inroads with the wicket of opener Kelsall, caught behind by Cross for 25, Notts 55-4.

Parry bowled White and Clark had Dal caught behind attempting a hook shot, Cross taking the catch one handed above his head as Notts stumbled to 81-6 after 19 overs. The Notts tail wagged adding 83 in 11 overs, but Clark's dismissal of Azad for 18 followed by Bacon for 26 by Griffiths left Notts needing 96 in 10 overs with two wickets left.

Griffiths picked up his third wicket when he had Hutton caught by Lilley for 41. It was Lilley who finished the game when he bowled Ball to see Lancashire retain the Trophy they won lat year with seven and a half overs to spare.

Darrin White