1980 Lancashire v Yorkshire

1980 Lancashire v Yorkshire
Lancashire had not won a Roses Match for eight years, and their quest to end this run against their Pennine rivals went right down to the final over-and a thrilling finish.

The Committee report for season 1980, was brutally honest in assessing the team's first class performances.  "We started well but fell away badly finishing in 15th position, two places lower than in 1979.  Once again it was our lack of batting bonus points, which accounted for our lowly league position.  Only two players reached 1,000 runs (Frank Hayes and Andrew Kennedy).  Only six centuries were made.  Andy Kennedy making the highest, an unbeaten 169 in the opening championship match of the summer against Derbyshire - and the other notable 'ton' came from Clive Lloyd in the late summer Roses match".

The August Bank Holiday clash was blessed by excellent weather, and the three day attendance, with a goodly turn out of Members - and over six thousand paying supporters, produced a superb atmosphere. Clive Lloyd returned after leading the West Indies on their tour of England, and he received a rapturous reception as he walked out to field just before eleven o'clock.  He and his Lancashire team-mates hoped for an early break through, but Geoff Boycott and Richard Lumb were untroubled on a super wicket prepared despite the poor weather leading up to the game, by Head Groundsman Chris Hawkins.

Boycott never looked like getting out.  He registered his ninth 'Roses' century, hitting 13 fours before the seventh bowler produced by Skipper Frank Hayes (David Lloyd) held a catch off his own bowling Lumb and Athey also batted well, but after the top three had been dismissed, the bowlers gained a semblance of control.  Even so Yorkshire's first innings total - 346 for 7 off 100 overs - was quite a target for the home batsmen.

David Lloyd was LBW early in the innings, but then Kennedy and Hughes took the score to 93 before they were dismissed in rapid succession.  Clive Lloyd came and went in a twinkling - run out for a duck - but then Bernard Reidy joined Hayes and they took to score on from 120 for 4 to 256.  Reidy hit 12 fours before being bowled.  Jack Simmons and the skipper then added 54 before the overs ran out, leaving Hayes six short of what would have been a well earned century.

Willie Hogg took Boycott's wicket for just three as Yorkshire sought to add quick runs to their lead of 36.  Lumb and Athey were also dismissed cheaply as the visitors slumped to 65 for 3, but once the ball lost its shine, batting became much easier.  John Hampshire and Jim Love took total command, Hampshire in a controlled stylish way and Love with rather more aggression. The lead grew on the final morning, and both batsmen seemed set to reach three figures.
Yorkshire's fourth wicket pair had added 177 when Graeme Fowler - keeping wicket - held a chance offered by Hampshire.  242 for 4.  Yorkshire led by 278.  Carrick then fell to Malone for 5, but Love went on to make his century (11 x 4 and 2 x 6), and he was unbeaten on 105 at lunch.

During the interval Hampshire declared leaving Lancashire to make 302 in four hours and ten minutes.  The wicket was still a beauty, but informed opinion favoured the draw, mainly because Lancashire's batsmen had to chase their winning target against five international class bowlers.

At twenty to two Kennedy and David Lloyd walked out to the middle to face Old and Stevenson.  Their partnership was worth 40 before Old dismissed Kennedy.  Lloyd joined by Hayes then found his touch. Square cut, off drive, leg glance, all were produced to great effect.  51 were added, with the skipper's contribution only 8 - and his long quiet walk to the pavilion was interrupted the emergence from the darkness of the pavilion, of Clive Lloyd.

The two Lloyd's took the score onto 125 before Cope's off spin defeated David.  Enter Bernard Reidy, capped at the end of May, and bristling with intent.  After a period of reconnaissance, against some commendably accurate bowling, the batsmen began to gain the upper hand. Boundaries were few and far between, but the running between the wickets was brilliant, with Clive Lloyd shepherding his young partner to great effect. Both players went past their half centuries, and despite numerous bowling changes, took control as the winning post came into sight.

But, with 59 required, Stevenson penetrated Reidy's defence - and a partnership of 177 was ended.  The reassuring presence of Jack Simmons entered the arena to huge applause.  He played quietly as Lloyd continued to take the first to the Yorkshire bowlers. But as close of play came ever closer, the visitors intensified their efforts, and were rewarded by the wickets of Simmons, Lloyd for 101 (15 x 4), and Fowler.  Hughes batting at eight, was joined by nineteen year old Steve O'Shaughnessy.

He arrived at the wicket with the scores level, and with the ground in tumult.  Just four deliveries remained as the young all-rounder took guard. Hampshire and bowler Sidebottom took an age to set the field, no doubt trying to play on O'Shaughnessy's nerves.

It did not work!  The batsman calmly played his first ball back up the pitch, and then hit the next to the boundary.  All the pent up emotions of the Lancashire members and supporters were released as the ball bounced over the boundary rope. The noise I am sure could have been heard in the centre of Manchester.

Victory to Lancashire by three wickets.  Lancashire 19pts - Yorkshire 6pts, and the Red Rose county celebrated their first championship win over the 'Tykes' for eight years.  The sun continued to shine as Frank Hayes and his team  savoured their triumph, after three magnificent days of cut and thrust between the ancient rivals.
Matt Proctor